A BID to demolish a Middleton bungalow and turn it into two homes has failed.
The attempt to transform the sub-standard property in Main Drive into two semi-detached homes was turned down by members of Arun District Council’s development and control committee.
Planning officer Daniel Vick told members the application was recommended for refusal.
He said Arun was not satisfied the site could accommodate two dwellings without harming the surrounding neighbourhood.
“It would be totally out of keeping with the area. It would be too cramped for the site and unneighbourly,” said Mr Vick.
Applicant Mr Pendleton spoke in favour of his plan.
He told councillors he had been working with Arun to come up with a suitable plan and was ‘surprised’ to see the application was recommended for refusal.
Mr Pendleton said: “I have plans from 1993 which clearly show the site was designed to be a double plot. The area is an eclectic mix of different types of properties.”
At their meeting last Wednesday, 11 councillors voted to reject the application and two abstained.