MAGAZINE: 12,300 homes in the South East escaped deadly gas incidents

To mark the start of Gas Safety Week (15 – 21 September), new research released today has revealed at least 12,300 homes across the South East have escaped deadly gas incidents, such as explosions, fires and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, in the last year.

The research carried out among Gas Safe registered engineers revealed that over half (57 per cent) found a dangerous gas boiler, cooker or fire in a customer’s home in the last year that needed turning off immediately.

Around half (45 per cent) of these dangerous appliances were attributed to the fact that people had failed to get their gas appliance regularly serviced and had been left in a poor state.

Gas Safe Register has inspected 19,445 homes in the South East in the past four years and found unsafe gas appliances lurking in one in six homes.

In addition, Southern Gas Networks found over 16,500 unsafe gas appliances at emergency callouts attended in just the last year across the region.

21,697 registered engineers across the South East are tirelessly working to keep the public safe and reduce the number of unsafe homes – many of which are caused by people failing to get their gas appliances safety checked by registered engineers.

Last year, Gas Safe Register launched the first ever interactive gas map - www.StayGasSafe.co.uk - which tells people how safe or unsafe their area is when it comes to gas by simply entering their post code. People can also sign up to a free gas safety check reminder service which will alert them when their gas appliances need checking.

This year Gas Safe Register, local registered engineers and local Fire and Rescue Services will be visiting Arundel Street, Portsmouth on Saturday 20th September as part of a regional tour during Gas Safety Week- to remind people of the importance of getting regular safety checks on all gas appliances.

Watch our video to hear from Max Schenker who lost his 31-year-old brother, Robert to carbon monoxide poisoning. A series of easily avoidable instances resulted in tragedy- highlighting the importance of making sure your gas appliances as checked by a Gas Safe engineer.

Follow Gas Safe Register’s advice this Gas Safety Week:

1. Get your gas appliances safety checked every year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. You can sign up to a reminder service and find out about the gas dangers in your area by visiting www.StayGasSafe.co.uk

2. Check the front and back of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card, making sure they are qualified to do the specific type of gas work you require.

3. Check gas appliances for warning signs that they are not working correctly. A lazy yellow flame, black marks or stains around the appliance, or too much condensation in the room are all signs that your appliances aren’t safe.

4. Know the six main symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning: headaches, dizziness, nausea, breathlessness, collapse and loss of consciousness.

To find a Gas Safe registered engineer and for further gas safety advice visit www.GasSafeRegister.co.uk or call 0800 408 5500.