DCSIMG

Warning of possible delay about St Modwen’s plans

A FURTHER delay could be likely before the latest plans about the regeneration scheme for Bognor Regis are revealed.

Members of Arun District Council are due to discuss the proposals from St Modwen for the Regis Centre and Hothamton sites on June 18. But the debate could be put back.

Arun’s chief executive, Nigel Lynn, said at the council’s Bognor Regis regeneration sub-committee last week the timetable could slip.

“We are continuing to negotiate with St Modwen about the land valuations in particular which we have previously informed the council about.
“Hopefully, we will come back to the council on June 18.

“But the deadline for information about the valuations is very tight but that’s our deadline target at the moment.”

Last November, councillors were promised a debate early this year when they gave St Modwen another year to work on its proposal and enable a planning application to be submitted.

Cllr Francis Oppler (LD, Orchard) said: “The council and St Modwen must have been aware of these issues, such as land valuation, last November when we were assured a debate about the scheme would be held early this year.

“The meeting on June 18 will be halfway through 2014 and, if we have to wait to the next full council meeting, that will take us to August.

“Local government effectively closes down then and I can see the debate being put back even further.

“We have still seen no plans and no indications from St Modwen about what they intend to do.

“The council and St Modwen should act with integrity and say it’s over and Arun should take a fresh look at the situation.

“I’m still convinced St Modwen will walk away.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page