SUSSEX police and crime commissioner, Katy Bourne, has chosen Giles York as her preferred candidate to be the new Sussex Chief Constable.
The announcement follows a rigorous recruitment process, which began in April, following the retirement of former Chief Constable, Martin Richards.
Joining Katy Bourne on the selection board were Sir Denis O’Connor, former Chief Inspector of Constabulary for Her Majesty’s Inspectorate of Constabulary, Air Vice-Marshal Robert W Judson FRAeS RAF, Director Joint Warfare, Ministry of Defence, and Mrs Dianne Newton, an experienced HR professional appointed by the College of Policing as an independent observer.
Giles York has been temporary Chief Constable for Sussex Police since March 2014. He was previously Deputy Chief Constable since 2008 with responsibility for performance, engagement, reputation, change and risk management.
Mrs Bourne said: “Mr York has exceptional experience of policing, having held a number of positions in senior leadership.
“Throughout the recruitment process he showed a passion for Sussex, its people and police force. He also demonstrated a strong commitment to developing partnership working across the county as well as engaging with residents to meet their policing needs and keep Sussex safe.”
The Police and Crime Panel will be formally notified of the proposed appointment in due course. This will be subject to a confirmation hearing at their meeting on Friday 27 June, 2014.
Giles York said: “I am delighted to have been recommended as the next Chief Constable of Sussex Police. Subject to confirmation by the Police and Crime Panel, I look forward to working with the Police & Crime Commissioner and everyone in the Force to deliver the priorities in the Police & Crime Plan and ensure that the people of Sussex have access to the best possible policing services when they need them.”