DCSIMG

Bognor Regis man accused of murdering Pagham man in hit and run

Walter Brazil as he appeared at a court date last May

Walter Brazil as he appeared at a court date last May

A BOGNOR Regis man has appeared in court accused of a deliberate hit and run which killed a young Pagham man.

Walter Brazil of Collyer Avenue, has appeared at Lewes Crown Court accused of murdering Charles Hancock, of Nyetimber Lane.

It is alleged Brazil - who denies murder - caused Mr Hancock’s death when he hit him with his car in Rowan Way on May 13 of last year around 10pm.

Philip Bennetts QC, prosecuting told the court yesterday (Tuesday, February 18) it was his intention to prove Brazil deliberately ran Mr Hancock over ‘intending to at the very least to cause serious bodily injury.’

Mr Bennetts told the jury: “Charles Hancock was aged 20 when he was killed by Walter Brazil. He died as a result of Walter Brazil driving into him at speed.

“Brazil did not remain at the scene.

“He drove home in a motor vehicle damaged as a result of the collision. He telephoned the police.

“He lied.

“He said that he had knocked down a person as he was driving and he did not know who that person was.”

Mr Bennetts said Brazil admitted later when interviewed by police that he did know he had run over Mr Hancock.

Mr Hancock died in St Richard’s Hospital Chichester at 4.30am the following morning.

Later that day Brazil, who remains in custody, was arrested on suspicion of murder.

The trial continues.

For more on this story see the Bognor Regis Observer out tomorrow Thursday, February 20.

Keep checking the website - www.bognor.co.uk - for updates.

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page