Inquest hears horror of Midhurst lorry crash tragedy

Giuseppina, 'Josie', Incisivo
Giuseppina, 'Josie', Incisivo

SHOPPERS have relived the horror of seeing pensioner Josie Incisivo die after walking in front of a lorry in the centre of Midhurst.

A former King Edward VII nurse, Josie, who was only 4ft 11in, was caught by the tyre and dragged up the road under the vehicle for some 60 to 70 yards on July 9 last year.

Josie, 79, lived in Oakwood Close, Midhurst.

The inquest heard lorry driver Robert Edgar was unaware of the horrific incident until his boss phoned him as he was 
driving through Chichester 15 miles away.

“I was dumbfounded. The truck was laden so there was a lot of weight there – I wouldn’t have felt anything.”

Coroner Joseph Turner said the horror had highlighted a need for more warning sensors on lorries.

He is to submit a report to the secretary of state, highlighting the danger.

“We have found ourselves in a situation here where there is a risk of other deaths. It’s a massive 
danger to pedestrians,” Mr Turner said.

Off-duty nurses Jo Stuttaford and Anita Hartung, who work at Midhurst Community Hospital, performed CPR on Josie but she died at the scene from ‘catastrophic’ injuries

Some 40 witnesses came forward after the incident.

Carole Trussler saw Josie walk in front of the lorry.

“I saw the car in front move and I thought ‘Oh God, (the driver) is not going to see her.’”

Robert Campbell added: “She seemed to disappear for a while and I knew she wasn’t going to make it.

“I don’t think the driver could have seen her.

“I beeped my horn trying to attract attention.”

Susan Parrott said: “I had a sudden feeling of complete horror as I realised what was in front of me. It all seemed to happen in slow motion.”

Mr Turner concluded Josie died as a result of a road traffic collision and said she suffered ‘catastrophic’ multiple injuries in the accident. He added: “Our sincere condolences go to Miss Incisivo’s family. This was a tragic and horrific end to her life and it deeply affected those who witnessed it on the day.”

The Crown Prosecution Service decided Mr Edgar had not driven carelessly and took no further action last year.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.midhurstandpetworth.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/MidhurstandPetworthObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @mid_pet_obs

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Midhurst and Petworth Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.