Gerald happy to be back in home

C130019-1 Bog Jan10 Gerald  phot kate''Gerald Fieldhouse with his son Malcolm.C130019-1
C130019-1 Bog Jan10 Gerald phot kate''Gerald Fieldhouse with his son Malcolm.C130019-1

MUCH-LOVED resident Gerald Fieldhouse has returned to the place he regards as his home in Westergate.

Mr Fieldhouse was welcomed back to Nyton House with a celebration cake and drinks on Monday (January 7).

He had been away for 18 months after being taken into hospital.

In the meantime, the home had become subject to a safeguarding investigation after allegations of abuse were made against it.

That inquiry and the fact Mr Fieldhouse needed nursing care immediately after his release from hospital meant he had to be placed in another home.

It was only when Nyton House’s owners, Mary and Philip Davis, won a judicial review into the investigation and the county council re-instated the home on its list to accept residents it funds, that arrangements to bring Mr Fieldhouse back could begin to be made.

Mr Fieldhouse, 95, said: “I’m very pleased to be back here among my friends. I’m very happy here.”

His son, Malcolm, said: “I’m absolutely delighted my father has returned here.

“He has been here for 18 years and he wanted to come back here. He couldn’t understand why that was not possible.

“This is an absolutely wonderful place. The staff are so caring and they keep it quiet and peaceful.”

Mr Fieldhouse has a room which looks on to the garage where he kept his beloved Javelin car for many years.

He would lovingly tend to the vehicle and take it to various rallies until age caught up with him.

Nyton House, on Nyton Road, became subject to the safeguarding investigation in May 2010.

Allegations were made about the home’s manager, Felicity Hillary-Warnett and the care provided.

West Sussex County Council held four investigatory hearings in the next two years without Nyton House being able to put forward any evidence or have the investigators present the full facts which would have allowed a fair reflection of what happened.

The home’s manager was questioned by police, the Independent Safeguarding Authority and the Nursing and Midwifery Council.

None found any abuse or wrongdoing in the ten cases which had been referred.

A further three members of staff were referred to the ISA. Two were also referred to the NMC. They were all cleared.

The judicial review led Judge David Mackie QC to rate the treatment of Mr and Mrs Davis as deplorable.

Ms Hillary-Warnett said a grey area existed in the work which care homes without nursing can do even if qualified nursing staff worked there.

A county council spokesman said: “We must stress we did not take the decision lightly to undertake the safeguarding investigations.

“Protecting very vulnerable adults is a key priority for the county council and, in the course of conducting our duties, there may be times when care providers are affected.”