FIREFIGHTERS have helped Bognor Regis residents stay safe in bed this winter.
As part of a county-wide initiative firefighters were at the town’s Laburnum Centre offering free electric blanket tests.
Some 99 residents had their blankets checked, and 36 of those were deemed to be unsafe after they failed the test.
A West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service spokeswoman said: “A lot of the blankets were found to be worn and far too old.
“Some had defective controllers and in one case the wiring from the controller to the blanket was found to be split.”
The testing week was sponsored by Comfy Quilts Ltd, a leading manufacturer for Silentnight.
They also offered vouchers for a brand-new replacement under-blanket to the first 200 residents whose blanket was found to have a potentially dangerous fault.
For more information on the safe use and storage of electric blankets visit the West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service website.