Could Worthing Birdman cancellation boost Bognor?

L29500H11 B BOGNOR BIRD MAN 2011 PIC S.G. 17.09.2011

Bognor Bird Man 2011  Sunday. David Moore a entrant from the USA battles with the win on Bognor Sea Front on Sunday morning L294500h11 ENGSNL00120110718102115
L29500H11 B BOGNOR BIRD MAN 2011 PIC S.G. 17.09.2011 Bognor Bird Man 2011 Sunday. David Moore a entrant from the USA battles with the win on Bognor Sea Front on Sunday morning L294500h11 ENGSNL00120110718102115

BOGNOR Birdman organisers hope the cancellation of Worthing’s spectacle could provide a jump start to their event.

The event needs £5,000 funding to go ahead, with organisers setting up an online fundraising campaign to raise it.

Donations are currently few and far between but volunteer Sandra Daniells hopes the public will now get on board and keep the event alive.

On the cancellation of Worthing Birdman, announced earlier this week, she said: “Hopefully it will give us a bit of a boost this year.

“It is sad for Worthing as it was a brilliant event but it might be an advantage.”

A link to the Crowdfunding campaign was posted on the Observer’s Facebook page by former Bognor Regis Carnival organiser Chris Warden.

It can be viewed here.

She said: “We need the local community to get behind and support this year’s Birdman to enable it to go ahead.

“Bognor Carnival had to fight against all this last year but with the local community believing in it, they managed to bring back last year’s event with a bang but this was only done with people believing in them and supporting them.”

The £5,000 will pay for road closures, scaffolding, entertainments, prize money, insurance and marshals.

Should it go ahead, competitors will fly on September 4 and 5.