Bognor’s Remembrance Day parade IS in doubt

The Remembrance Day parade through Bognor last year
The Remembrance Day parade through Bognor last year

The Remembrance Parade IS in doubt following the closure of a Royal British Legion (RBL) branch.

Bognor Regis branch has closed in its 95th year.

Its closure leaves uncertainty over the historic November Remembrance Day service and parade, though the poppy collection will go ahead.

A letter to Bognor Regis Town Council from the Legion’s Sussex County Committee confirmed: “It is with great sadness that I must advise that Bognor Regis Royal British Legion have decided to close in their 95th year.

“This is primarily due to their inability to recruit and appoint branch officers or committee members.

“The Poppy Appeal within Bognor Regis will remain unaffected by the demise of the Branch.

“However, there will no longer be a Bognor Regis Royal British Legion Representation within the Town to assist in the organisation of Remembrance Parades or Services that they may have previously been involved in.

“However, the Sussex County Committee have offered their full support, and will gladly assist in any capacity required.”

On last week’s front page, the Observer incorrectly stated the Bognor Town councillors had discussed the closure of Aldwick RBL.

It was the Aldwick RBL club, not the branch, that was in financial difficulty last year, though as reported the club is now ‘in good shape’.

We apologise for any confusion caused.

The Bognor Regis RBL club closed some years ago, but the branch has continued and have been involved in the Remembrance events.

Bognor Town Council said it was ‘hopeful’ the 2016 commemorations would still go ahead.

Heather Knight, civic manager, said: “The Town Council has had official confirmation that the Bognor Regis Branch of the Royal British Legion has unfortunately closed, together with an assurance that the Bognor Regis Poppy Appeal will be unaffected and an offer of full support from the RBL Sussex County Committee.

“We are in early discussions with the County Committee and are hopeful of the 2016 commemoration taking place as usual. Further information will be available in due course regarding plans for this year’s Remembrance Sunday.”

Get your Bognor Regis Observer newspaper for just 38p per week for a year!

Your Bognor Regis Observer newspaper costs £1.05 each week - BUT if you buy a year’s subscription before June 4, 2016, you can enjoy a massive saving which works out at just 38p an edition.

Subscribe and read your favourite weekly, the Chichester, or Bognor Regis, or Midhurst & Petworth Observer, for 12 months for a one off advance payment of £19.76 - that works out at just 38p a copy for an entire year!

And as a valued subscriber you’ll continue to receive a 20% discount even after the initial 12 month offer has ended.

Once you’ve subscribed we’ll send you dated coupons to use instead of cash when paying for your Observer.

To take advantage of this fantastic offer simply click here and enter the offer code - 277PA-CBO.

Hurry though as offer ends on June 4, 2016.

Terms & Conditions: Offer valid to new customers only when paying by a one off direct debit charge of £19.76. Minimum 12 months subscription. Offer ends Saturday 4th June 2016. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer.