ALMOST half of electric blankets tested in Bognor Regis failed to meet safety standards.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service have revealed out of the 59 blankets tested at the Laburnum Centre in Lyon Street on December 10 of last year 23 failed the safety test.
The free event was one of more than a dozen held around the county between May and December of last year. Some 166 of the 412 electric blankets tested were found to be potentially dangerous.
Blankets over ten years old are a particular concern because they don’t have the overheat protection found in newer blankets and it is recommended they are replaced.
Residents can find their nearest testing venue and safety advice on the use of blankets by calling 0845 872 9719 or visiting www.westsussex.gov.uk/fire.