Another Bognor Regis town councillor quits over Picturedrome row

UKIP councillor Graham Jones has stepped down from the town council but remains county councillor for Felpham
UKIP councillor Graham Jones has stepped down from the town council but remains county councillor for Felpham
0
Have your say

A SECOND Bognor Regis town councillor has now resigned.

Following the resignation of cllr Paul Wells, cllr Graham Jones has also stepped down saying he had been ‘saddened to witness the recent fiasco surrounding the future of the Picturedrome’.

The UKIP county councillor said he had quit his role on the town council amid ‘accusations that the council’s effectiveness has been undermined by political jealousies and overt character assassination’.

Cllr Jones told the Observer: “Right from the outset of this council term back in May, I stated clearly that in the interests of community service I would align myself with the Independent group, given that the council itself is overridingly dominated by two political parties.

“This has been manipulated by other councillors as evidence that I have forsaken my allegiance to UKIP, for whom I am the West Sussex county councillor for Felpham.

“It is important to realise that the scenario at County Hall is wholly different, where my party is the second largest and is the main opposition, playing a highly proactive role in holding the West Sussex leadership to account on a wide range of service provisions.

“I have been surprised and disappointed at the cynical tactics of certain party politicians here in Bognor Regis, both on town and district councils.

“Their suggestions that my role on the town council is inconsistent with my inputs as a county councillor are blatantly wrong.

“However, I have decided to lay this matter to rest and concentrate now on my county council activities, vacating my seat on Bognor town council with immediate effect.

“Finally, I have been saddened to witness the recent fiasco surrounding the future of the Picturedrome.

“It has been a sad chapter in the life of Bognor Regis Town Council.

“What I must condemn is the motives behind those who sought to undermine a sound decision taken back in March 2015.

“This issue clearly has driven a wedge through the council and will doubtless be the source of much resentment right across the community as a whole.”

A motion by a group of town councillors to throw out plans for a fourth screen at the cinema was rejected.

A working party of cross-party councillors has been set up to examine the £850,000 project, along with the council’s independent auditors.

The working party’s initial findings will be discussed at an Extraordinary Town Council meeting on October 5, along with plans for public consultations of electors over the Picturedrome.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at www.bognor.co.uk/

2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/BognorRegisObserver

3) Follow us on Twitter @BogObserver

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Bognor Observer - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.